1. Reference this Ministry's letter No.E(Trg)94(28)I dated 5.7.95 regarding grant of incentives to Group "B" officers for acquiring higher qualifications and letter No.E(NG)/I-93/IC2/B dated 2.1.96 read with their letter dated 12.9.97, regarding grant of incentives to Gr."C" Railway employees for acquiring higher qualification.
2. The question of review of above instructions including addition of fresh qualifications to the existing ones has been under consideration of the Ministry of Railways in consultation with the Deptt. of Personnel and Training. It has now been decided to amplify the list of qualifications the acquisition of which will entitle the individuals to grant of lumpsum incentives as shown in the Annexure to this letter.
3. The revised scheme of incentives will be effective from the date of issue of this letter. In other words the qualifications specified in the Annexure acquired on or after the date of issue of this letter will qualify for the amount of specified lumpsum incentive.
3.1However, the individuals who were eligible for grant of lumpsum incentives in terms of existing instructions, will be entitled to grant of lumpsum incentive on the old scale in respect of qualifications acquired upto the day preceding the date of issue of this letter.
3.2. For the purpose of paras 3and 3.1 above the date of acquiring the qualifications will be the last date of the prescribed examination and not the date of publication of the results.
4. The revised scheme will apply to officers and staff in Group "A"B", & "C".
5. The following conditions will apply to the grant of lumpsum incentive.
i) Incentive should be allowed only for the qualifications, the acquisition of which is directly related to the functions of the post held by the Railway servant or the functions to be performed in the next higher post and the qualifications should contribute to the efficiency of the Railway servant. In the case of qualifications being useful in the discharge of functions in the next higher grade the grant of incentive maybe considered on actual promotion to the higher grade.
ii) No incentive would be allowed for purely academic or literary subjects and accordingly incentives need not be considered for qualification like Degree in Humanities.
iii) The incentive will not be available for the qualifications which are laid down as essential or desirable qualifications in the recruitment rules for the post.
iv) The quantum of incentive will be uniform for all the posts irrespective of their classification or grade or the department.
v) The incentive will not be admissible where the Government servant is sponsored by the government or he avails of study leave for acquiring the qualification. Only those officiate who have acquired the higher qualification fully at their own cost and where the Railways have not borne any part of the expenses therefore will be entitled for grant of incentives.
vi) The incentive would be given only for higher qualification acquired after induction into service and not for possession of higher qualification at the time of entry in service.
vii) No incentive would be admissible if an appointment is made in relaxation of the educational qualifications. No incentive would be admissible if the employee acquires the requisite qualification for such appointment at a later date.
viii) The qualifications meriting grant of incentive should be recognized by the all India Council for Technical Education, Department of Electronics, Deemed University University or recognized by the Government.
ix) Officials acquiring more than one prescribed qualification will be entitled for incentives for all such additional qualifications.
x) Officials who avail the incentives should remain in service for atleast three years after acquiring higher qualificatins.
6. This issues with the concurrence of the Finance Directorate of the Ministry of Railways.