- JE (Permanent Way) is a supervisor in Civil Engineering (Permanent Way) department of Railways.
- JE will be normally headquartered in junction/major/medium type stations normally.
- He will be the in charge of a section of track (let us say less than 50 km length) stretching over a couple of stations. He will be responsible for maintenance, repairs and attending to failures like rail fracture.
- He will be working under an SSE who will be overall in charge and he will have a team of workers consisting of trackman, gangman, khalasis, patrolman.
- Permanent way in railway parlance is the structure consisting of the rails, fasteners, sleepers and ballast, plus the underlying subgrade.
- The safe running of trains depends on the level of maintenance of the track and hence the role of a permanent way supervisor is crucial and he is answerable for the delay/omissions in this regard.
- He is supposed to conduct regular inspections, trolley inspections, foot plate inspection(by travelling in engine of running train) over his section.
Career path :
Senior Section Engineer->
Assistant Divisional Engineer(Gaz.) (AEN) ->
Divisional Engineer(DEN) ->
Senior Divisional Engineer(Sr.DEN)
- Diploma in Civil Engineering from a recognized university/institution.
Selection Process : Written Examination and Document Verification.
Salary and other perks
(i) Pay Scale 9300-34800
(ii) Grade Pay 4200
(iii) Initial Pay 9300
(iv) Total Pay (i) + (ii ) Rs.13500
Other Allowances depend on various conditions and hence can’t be stated uniformly. Other major allowances include :
- DA on Total Pay above
- Transport Allowance
- House Rent Allowance(if not provided with quarters)
Deductions from salary include 10% of total Pay towards New Pension scheme.