With over 13.6 Lakh employees, Indian Railways is one of the largest employer not only in India, but also in the world. The workforce of IR is a varied mass of people from the Gangman/Khalasi at one end to Chairman, Railway Board at the apex level. The task of the personnel department of Railways is to manage and look after the welfare of this large mass of employees and their families.
Functions of Personnel Department
- Man Power Planning.
- Training and Development.
- Performance Appraisal
- Promotions and Demotions.
- Guidance on Disciplinary matters.
- Wage and Salary administrations.
- Settling Industrial Disputes.
- Grievance Redressal.
- Incentives and Financial aids.
- Settlement and Pension.
- Arranging Post retirement benefits and Grievance Redressal of Pensioners.
- Setting up and maintenance of Welfare Activities.
Role of Personnel Manager
- Personnel manager take care of the human factor striving to get the best result from workers by developing their capabilities.
- Personnel manager will relieve the departmental officers from the task of management of employees of his department to the extent possible so that he can concentrate the functioning of his department.
- However the department officer will have the main say in the placement of workers to ensure better utilization, economy and efficiency.
- Personnel officer will also be receptive to suggestions given by departmental officer on transfer to maintain efficiency and discipline.
- Although Departmental officers are relieved of Personnel work to a great extent after setting up the Personnel Department, they should also maintain a close touch with their department employees, receive grievances on personnel matters and arrange to dispose of the same with the help of personnel officer duly keeping in view the rules and regulations laid down.
- Personnel officers are also Welfare Officers who will co-ordinate various Welfare activities such as Sports activities, management of Holiday Homes, Institute, Co-operative societies, Canteens etc.
- Personnel officer should see that legitimate interests of the workers are protected.
- Personnel officer should take utmost care in maintaining industrial peace, keeping good relations with trade unions and help in maintaining congenial atmosphere for smooth working.
- Productivity depends on technological factors and job performance. Job performance is based morale and motivation to work. Motivation of workers can be judged by their attitude towards the objectives of the organization.
- Management should be vigilant towards the attitude of the workers and should analyze the causes for negative approach of the workers in their performance. Management has to analyse and diagnose the needs of the workers for the purpose of achieving organizational objectives by maintaining close contact with the workers.
- Generally personnel department’s role is to communicate and implement policies. They play an important role by providing the required expertise in maintaining industrial relations by laisoning with the technical executives.