Family Pension

  • On the death of a Railway employee or Retired Railway employee.
  • For grant of Family pension family is categorised into two.

- Category I

  1. Widow/Widower upto death/remarriage.
  2. Son/Daughter including widowed daughter upto date of his/her marriage/remarriage or till the date he/she starts earning or till 25 years whichever is earlier.

- Category II

  1. Unmarried/Widowed /Divorced daughter not covered by Category I above upto date of his/her marriage/remarriage or upto death whichever is earlier.
  2. Parents who were wholly dependent on the Railway employee when he/she was alive provided the deceased employee had left behind neither a widow nor a child.
  3. Dependent disabled siblings of a Government servant/pensioner .
  • Family Pension to Unmarried/Widowed /Divorced daughter and dependant parents will continue till death. 
  • Family Pension to Unmarried/Widowed /Divorced daughter and dependant parents will be paid only after other eligible persons in Category I have ceased to be eligible to be receive Family pension and there is no disabled child to receive Family Pension.
  • Grant of Family Pension to children in respective categories shall be payable in the order of Date of birth so that younger of them will not be eligible unless next above him become ineligible.
  • Dependency criteria for purpose of family pension shall be the minimum Family Pension along with Dearness Relief.
  • Childless widow of a deceased Railway employee shall be continued to be paid Family Pension even after remarriage subject to condition that the Family Pension cease once her income from all other sources becomes equal to or higher than the minimum prescribed Family Pension along with Dearness Relief. In such cases the Family Pensioner has to declare her income from other sources to pension disbursing authority every 6 months.
  • The turn of unmarried children below 25 years of age comes after the death or remarriage of their mother/father ie, the pensioner and his/her spouse. Thereafter the family pension is payable to the disabled children for life and then to the unmarried/widowed/divorced daughters above the age of 25 years. (Ref 2)
  • Every Railway Servant on entering service shall furnish his family details. Subsequent information will be submitted to Head of Department who will keep the information.
  • Family Pension will be payable to only one person at a time except when a Railway employee is survived by more than one wife or one wife and children from another wife or when twin children of a deceased Railway employee are eligible in which case it will be paid in equal shares. In those cases on the death of one of the twins or one wife cease to be eligible other get full Family Pension.
  • Family Pension is also admissible to post-retirement spouses and their children.
  • When both husband and wife are Railway employees or Government Servants on death of one , the other will get full Family Pension and in case of death of both, children will get two Family Pensions subject to the maximum limits laid down. However when is charged of murdering the Railway employee no Family Pension will be paid until acquitted.
  • Claim towards Pay and Allowances of a deceased Railway Employee may be paid on execution of Indemnity bond.

Procedure for getting Family Pension on the death of Railway Pensioner

  • In case the pensioner and spouse are holding a joint account, the spouse may inform the Bank of death of the Pensioner and request the bank for commencement of family pension, through a simple letter. He/ She may enclose a copy of death certificate of pensioner, PPO, proof of his/her own age/date of birth and an undertaking for recovery of excess payment. (Ref 3)
  • In cases where the pension is not being credited to the joint bank account of the pensioner and his/her spouse, a standard form called From 10 has to be submitted to the Bank. Witnessing by two persons in this form is necessary. Previous condition of attesting by two Gazetted officers is not required now. (Ref 3)

Two family pensions in case of widow of Ex-serviceman

  • Two family pensions are permitted where the pensioner is drawing or may draw two pensions for military and/or civil employments. (Ref1)

FP to unmarried son or an unmarried or widowed or divorced daughter

  • An unmarried son or an unmarried or widowed or divorced daughter, except a disabled son or daughter, shall become ineligible for family pension under this sub-rule from the date he or she gets married or remarried.
  • It shall be the duty of son or daughter or siblings or the guardian to furnish a certificate to the Treasury or Bank, as the case may be,  once in a year that (i) he or she has not started earning his or her livelihood and (ii) he or she has not yet married or remarried. A similar certificate shall be furnished by a childless widow after her re-marriage or by the disabled son or daughter or parents to the Treasury or Bank, as the case may be, once in a year that she or he or they have not started earning her or his or their livelihood.  (Ref 1)

Family Pension in case of death/Injury by hostilities/Terrorists/Dacoits etc.

  • Widow will get Family Pension equal to pay last drawn by the deceased Railway Employee for life/remarriage.
  • After remarriage Family Pension will be paid at the normal rates and subject to conditions following remarriage.

Railway Employee disappearing suddenly

  • Salary due, Leave encashment, PF may be paid on application and after expiry of one year. Family Pension also to be paid one year from date of first report lodged with Police.

Family Pension at enhanced rates

  • Family Pension at enhanced rates is paid for a period of 10 years in case of a Railway employee dying in harness.
  • In case of death of a Pensioner  below 67 years, Family Pension is paid at enhanced rates for a period of 7 years  or upto the date on which the deceased pensioner would have reached 67 years whichever is earlier.

Nomination Forms
Has to be given separately for:

  • Death-cum-Retirement Gratuity.
  • SR Provident Fund.
  • Contributory Provident Fund.
  • Arrears of Pension etc.


1. Railway Board Letter No: E(NG)I-2011/CFP/10 dated 19/02/2013 (RBE No: 13/2013)

2. Railway Board Letter No:  F(E)III/2007/PN1/5 dated 26.09.2013 (RBE 99/2013)

2Railway Board Letter No:  F(E)III/2005/PN1/16 dated 09.10.2013


Sandeep Kalegowda

Fri, 01/06/2012 - 22:49

Dear Sir,


I had lasted my father 2 years back  my mother was also expired just 3 months before than  my father expired .. hence my younger brother got a job in railway in composion round .. now am getting pension.. can you please advise me still when I will be eligible for pension..




Member for

49 years 6 months

Subrata Das (not verified)

Fri, 24/08/2012 - 13:12

Dear Sir/Madam,
My father was servicing at NBQ Workshop  in NF Railway. He has expired on 27-04-2007 after retirement in the year of 1995. My mother is getting family pension. Now bank (from where pension is drawing) says excess amount of pension has given, should be returned back. I don't know the calculation of family pension. Can you give me the followings with calculation regarding pension?
1) Basic family pension from 01-05-2007 @ normal rate
2) Basic family pension from 01-05-2007 @ enhanced rate (though it is not applicable in this case)
Details of my father is furnishing below:

Type of Retirement: Superannuation
Post last held: Ex SS (Shop Superintendent)
Date of Birth: 03-02-1937
Date of retirement: 28-02-1995
Total Qualifying service: 37 years 9 months 11 days
Last pay    : Rs. 3700/-
Sum of last 10 month's emoluments : Rs. 36200/-
Amount of pension commuted: Rs. 603/- (1/3 rd of Pension)
please do the needful.
With regards,
Subrata Das

Member for

49 years 6 months

noor baig (not verified)

Fri, 24/08/2012 - 16:49


I had been shortlisted for ASM completed my medical ,till now my training is not started.

meanwhile i got a job in Wipro as a software engg,with 3.25 package .

please help me to on deciding whether to join railway or work as software engg. only.

I had done Btech in EEE.





Member for

49 years 6 months

mmk (not verified)

Mon, 27/08/2012 - 12:27

Whether mother having income of Rs.5000/- or more is eligible to get the family family pension if childless widow got remarried but she is not having income to the extent of pension.

Member for

49 years 6 months

RADHAKRISHNAN (not verified)

Tue, 28/08/2012 - 07:12

Dear Sir,

My father has passed away recently: 15, August, 2012. What are the formalities, my mother should do to transfer the pension?.How soon should she act?. She wants to change the bank from where, my father was withdrawing. Where should she approach?



Hi Friend,

 your father died on Aug 15th, .you need to do,

1) dont withdraw the pension for this month.

2) Intimate to Bank , where your father has pension account ( immediate).

3) Intimate to railway Nilayam or Pension Trust immediately .

Other formalities you can do as  guided by railway authorities.

Do apply  for Complimentary Pass for your mother

Member for

49 years 6 months

Guest (not verified)

Sat, 01/09/2012 - 18:37

Dear Sir,

My father expired on Aug 28, 2012. He was retired from Driver's Training Institute , Fazalganj, Kanpur on Sep 30, 2001 and he had been pensioners since then.

Please let me know the documents need to submit to apply for family pension in the name of  my mother and also let me know the office address to submit these documents.

Please also let me know if my mother would be eligible for full amount of pension as of my father or less.

Thanks in advance.

Member for

49 years 6 months

K.K.Dave (not verified)

Tue, 04/09/2012 - 20:56


Please provide me the Rule regulating the family pension in favour of unmarried daughter in the case when her widowed mother remarried.

(1) Whether remarriage certificate is must for sanction of family pension in favour of unmarried daughter?

(2) Further widowed mother has divorced after remarriage ?

Please quote rule in support so that legitimate right can be awarded to family.

Read carefully the categorisation above. Family pension is only given to one person at a time. Once a person becomes ineligible for Family pension, next in the line get it. Once widowed mother become ineligible due to her marriage next become eligible. Remarriage certificate can make things easy to get the benefit. There should be some documentary proof.

Widowed mother divrcing after is a condition which may need a clarification. Logically until her daughter becom ineligible she may not be able to receive.

Member for

49 years 6 months

John Smith (not verified)

Mon, 10/09/2012 - 18:42

Hi Sir

My friend is receiving Family pension even when being employed Full time. Is this right approach. If not

whom should we contact to prevent this fraud. Thanks



Member for

49 years 6 months

subhapalit (not verified)

Mon, 17/09/2012 - 13:37

What is the formula of calculating the family pension in the event of death of the pensioner,who had passed away after 10 years of retirement.The basic pay drawn at the time of rerirement was approx Rs.8000.

Member for

49 years 6 months

Guest (not verified)

Mon, 17/09/2012 - 17:26

Dear sir,

One of relative , Mr.Ganesh Chowdary,a raiway employee died due to illness in gauhati.

They have submitted all the required papers to Gauhati  railway office.

This happened in Jan 2012.

The Widow with two daughters is still in gauhati.

Till date(17th sep 2012) their pension is not sanctioned.

The family is facing severe problem in meeting their daily needs.

They are borrowing small sums to survive.

Request you to please help this needy family with proper guidence.

Thanks & Regards

GV Prasad



Member for

49 years 6 months

Guest (not verified)

Tue, 25/09/2012 - 23:54

Dear Sir,

My father expired on 22nd september 2012 , please guide me how to stop my Dad's pension. Is there any online way to complete the process .

You have to approach the DRM's office from where your father retired. You cant do it online. Get a Death Certificate also. Eligible family member can get Family Pension. Complete this formality also by giving relevant documents.

Member for

49 years 6 months

S Muruhan (not verified)

Sun, 07/10/2012 - 14:22

sir my father who was a railway pensioner died last week i came to know that state government pensioner at the time of death are due for a special grant of funeral expenses from the state govt which is paid to the concerned family after death whether any such welfare scheme is there in indian Railways .

Member for

49 years 6 months

Guest (not verified)

Tue, 09/10/2012 - 09:27

Dear Sir

What is time frame to process Time Barred pension (more than 3years) after submitting all required documents to Allahabad Railway Divisional Account Office 

Thank you

Member for

49 years 6 months

ranjan maitra (not verified)

Tue, 09/10/2012 - 19:51

my father in law expired on 30/01/2012 at the age of 82 years with basic pension (railways) @13560.00+2712.00(20 percent of basic after attaining 80 years). what will be my mother in law's basic pension.

thanks and regards

r m maitra


Member for

49 years 6 months

Raj Sinha (not verified)

Tue, 09/10/2012 - 20:16

Dear Sir,

Good Evening,

 I am pursuing my graduation in sociology hons. (2009-2012) from Distance Learning, EIIlm University, Jorthang , Sikkim. 

I will get a job in railways on compensate ground. I want to get a position and scale as a graduate gets. 

My question is that whether my degree (which i will get this year) will be valid or not for a graduate post.

Please guide me.


Thank You,

Raj Sinha

University is recognized by UGC and the legislature of sikkim state. but as private universities should have to be renewed their recognition from Distance Education Council time to time and what if an university dont get its recognition renewed by DEC after expiration of its validity period. o I have heard they are questioning on the degree of such Universites... 

Member for

49 years 6 months

VinodK (not verified)

Tue, 09/10/2012 - 20:58

Dear Sir,

I've rendered 3.5 yrs service as Technician in Mechanical Dept. of C.Rly.

On the basis of my Dip. in Mech. Engg. selected as JE in Electrical Tr.D Dept. of same Rly., I've rendered 6 yrs of service and presently eligible for LDCE Group B exam.

Now I got selected as Section Engineer(Mechanical) in same railway.

My question is "Whether I would be eligible for LDCE Group B exam in new cadre i.e. Mechanical or I've to wait for completion of 5 yrs. service in mech. dept." 

Kindly reply,

You should be really smart to come up from Technician to JE and From JE to SE. And sure enough jump to Group B by the first chance.

BUT please show some common sense of not putting a question on LDCE under an article on Family Pension. The purpose can be better served by putting it in Forums or under an article on same subject.

Member for

49 years 6 months

ajay lal (not verified)

Wed, 10/10/2012 - 00:41


I lost my dad on last Thursday, was employed at HOWRAH as a KH HELPER  and I am doing my MBA in London(UK) could not go at this moment where my mom and two younger sisters needs me and i need them as well, kindly guide me what should I start with to get my mom's pension start,and what should i do in order to get my compensation job,also kindly tell me the initial official formality needs to be done by me and my family,

sir, its a humble request to you to kindly let me know the things to approach initially and whow to act in this situation,I really need your guidance and prayers

many thanks

You have to approach the Divisional office at Howra with all relevant documents from your father(whatever you have) and death certificate. Go to DPO(Divisional Personnel Officer)'s office. You can ask for Welfare Inspector. He will guide you.

Following is an extract from Rule 115 (viii) of Indian Railways Establishment Manual Vol I Chapter 1

"The upper age limit may be relaxed to the extent warranted and justified while making appointment on compassionate grounds of sons, daughters, wives, wards etc. of Railway servants who die while in service or are medically incapacitated."

sahil khan

Sat, 14/09/2013 - 16:07

Hello sir..

I am a widow daughter of a past employee of mother got pension after my fathers death and being ignorant and lack of proper resources I did not know that I am also eligible for pension after my mothers death since my husband expired before my mother was still alive..someone told me that I can claim even now since its been many years of my mothers would be really great if you could guide how can I make it and whom should I approach or what are the documents livelihood had been very difficult since then just because of being ignorant and no support I did not claimed earlier..

It would be so nice if you can advice..if this is possible and how.

Thank you.


Wed, 01/01/2014 - 18:23

sir my father had expired at the age of 50 years while on railway service.He has completed 24yrs in railway.he has not given any nomination on gratuity,what to do get pension and gratuity and how much pension my mother will father expired as a JE-II Pway works with scale rs13910 and GP 4200.also can I get his job as SSE becoz I will pass Btech(civil) next year



My grandmother ( widow ) kamala giri is getting railway pension from 1979 .

I ( renal transplant  patient 1995 ) , father Chandra shekar ( late )  ( jobless )

mother & brother were under her care . now as she is 94 years old .

is there any possibility of being successor of her pension after her death .

please do the needful



                                                                  kavitha chandra shekar


Tue, 11/02/2014 - 20:07

Dear Sir,

I am talking on behalf of my cousin, She is widow & orphan, her father was working in railway got retired, after his death her mother was getting the pension, now even she is dead, they haven't got the pension from almost 3years

She have a mentally retarded younger sister, who is eligible to get the pension, but still now she haven't started getting the pension, has struggled a lot and has been visiting railway head office regularly 

can you help us out to resolve this issue,


Fri, 18/04/2014 - 15:10


Please advise us the fixation of family pension for the widow of a railway pensioner (pre 1996) who drawn his last pension Basic;Rs. 9310/-  what % of the normal pension is fixed as family pension?

My brother in law, Sri Apurba  Biswas Technician Gr-1,(signal) died in 16/10/2013, He had been working in S&T, Tatanagar,Under CKP/SE. division,But till date my sister in law hasnt yet received her pension services started. Sri Apurba Biswas left two child aged 12+ & 3+..His wife is  facing extreme economical problem in taking care of  her family without any monitory help,because she till date have neither received her pensions nor her PF and gratuaty and not even an assurance of getting job .My heartiest request to you is that you kindly look into this matter seriously as soon as possible and she could receive her pension and job so that she can take care of her children.  


Sun, 14/09/2014 - 15:04

Family Pension will be payable to only one person
at a time except when a Railway employee is
survived by more than one wife or one wife and
children from another wife or when twin children of
a deceased Railway employee are eligible in which
case it will be paid in equal shares.
what has to be done in this case of 2 wives. please help with the procedures we should do. thank you.

My father died on march 2014 he was tech 1 with basic salary 15300 he was about to retire on Aug 2016 but died in service I want to know what will be my mother pension till aug 2016 and thereafter. and also give knowledge about pf and gratuity amount balance as my joined railway in 1983 and died while in service.