High Level Safety Review Committee constituted by the Ministry of Railways and headed by the eminent scientist Dr. Anil Kakodkar gave its report in Feb 2012.
Major recommendations of the Committee include:
- Elimination of all Level Crossings(manned and unmanned) in the next five years with an estimated cost of Rs. 50,000 crores.
- Maintenance of safety related infrastructure at a cost of Rs. 20,000 crores.
- Implementation of Advance Signaling System through Special Purpose Vehicle covering 19,000 km of trunk route with an estimated cost of Rs. 20,000 crore.
- All new coaches will be of safer LHB type with a total cost of Rs. 10,000 crore.
- Total financial implication for the implementation of the committee report is Rs.1,00,000 crore which has to be funded by safety cess on passengers, deferred dividend, grant by Central government etc.