- 7% of total accidents, account for 38% of total fatalities.
- Suggestions: Total elimination of Collisions by the extensive use of Anti-Collision Device (ACD).
- 75% of total accidents, account for only 14% of total fatalities.
- Suggestions: Derailments will be reduced by 60% by following measures:
- Replacement of overaged tracks, bridges, S&T gears and rolling stock under SRSF and current arisings under DRF.
- Elimination of four-wheeler tank wagons, which are accident-prone.
- Reduction of thermit welded joints which are weak areas.
- Improved training facilities enhancement of human skills.
- "Continuous Track Circuiting" and use of `State-of-the-art SPURT Cars' for rail flaw detection.
- 2% of total accidents, account for 2% of total fatalities.
- Suggestions: Fire accidents and consequent fatalities will be reduced by 80% by adoption of fireproof coaches and fire retardant material in the existing coaches.
Level Crossing Accidents
- 16% of total accidents, but account for 46% of total fatalities.
- There has been a rising trend in level crossing accidents in the last decade (+23%).
- Suggestions :
- Social awareness programmes.
- Construction of ROBs/RUBs at level crossings with TVUs > 1 lakh.
- Manning of unmanned level crossings.
- Provision of phones & interlocking of level crossing gates.
- Use of Train Actuated Warning Device (TAWD) and Anti-Collision Device (ACD)
- Overall consequential train accidents per million train kilometers will be reduced from 0.44 in 2002-03 to 0.17 in 2012-13.
- Fatalities in case of serious accidents will be appreciably reduced by use of Crash worthy Coaches and tight lock couplers with anti-climbing features.
- Bridges - Following measures being adopted:
- Under Water Inspection.
- Integrity testing of foundations.
- Non-destructive testing techniques.
- Bridge Management System.
- Fatigue life and residual life assessment techniques.
- Replacement/ rehabilitation of identified overaged and distressed bridges.
- Filling up of all Safety Category posts on urgency basis.
- Safety Related Retirement Scheme (SRRS) for gangmen and drivers in age group of 50 to 57 years.
- Disaster Management measures for ensuring quick relief and rescue operation.
- Funds requirement for safety enhancement works, including SRSF, outlined in the Corporate Safety Plan : Rs. 31,835 crores.