Journey on Transfer and Composite Transfer Grant

  • By Air : Officers drawing GP Rs.12000 and those in scale HAG+ and above may travel by air. Admissible for self only.
  • By Rail : Free passes are issued to Railway Employee and family.
  • By Road : If not connected by rail , Railway employee and family can travel by road. Entitlements for journeys by road will be same as admissible for journeys on tour.

Composite Transfer Grant(CTG) on transfer

A Railway servant will be entitled to  Composite Transfer on Transfer/Retirement, subject to the following conditions:-

  • Composite Transfer Grant will not be admissible if there is no change in the residence of the Railway servant, as a result of transfer.
  • Composite Transfer Grant will not be admissible in case of a temporary transfer not exceeding 180 days.
  • Composite Transfer Grant will not be admissible if the transfer has been ordered at the request of a Railway employee.
  • In the absence of any positive mention in the orders of transfer that the transfer is at the request of the employee or that it is for a period less that 180 days, the transfer orders should be deemed to carry the sanction of the competent authority for payment of Composite Transfer Grant.
  • The facility of using Railway Labour for packing household kit on transfer, is not permissible.
  • The payment of Composite Transfer Grant need not be linked with the vacation of Railway Accommodation provided at the old headquarters. 
  • When transferee/ retiree submits self declaration that transportation of personal effects has been made by own arrangement and facility of Kit Pass/VPU/Goods Trains/Container has not been availed of, production of documentary evidence of such transportation of personal effects by own arrangement need not be insisted upon for grant of CTG(Ref 2)
  • Proof of journey/change of residence will however be required in the cases where Kit Pass has been availed by the railway employee for transportation of personal effect.
  • If Kit Pass is availed for one VPU by passenger carrying trains 20% in the admissible amount of Composite Transfer Grantwill be cut  if a car is carried in the VPU and of 25% if car is not carried. (Ref 3)
  • Composite Transfer Grant to RPF personnel for their transfer from one barrack to another barrack where they do not reside with their family is not admissible  as no change in residence is involved. (Ref 11)
  • For the purpose of calculating Composite Transfer Grant in case of promotional transfer, the pay of the post held by the Railway servant at the old Headquarter before his transfer will be taken into account.  (ref 16)

Quantum of  Composite Transfer Grant

  • In case of Transfer involving change of station located at a distance of more than 20 kms from each other CTG will be calculated as follows:

Officers in HAG+ and above

One month Pay in Pay Band

All other Railway employees

One month Pay in Pay Band + Grade Pay

  • Non-Practicing Allowance will be reckoned as Basic Pay for computing TA/DA entitlements including Composite Transfer Grant.
  • Only one Transfer Grant is permissible in case of transfer of husband and wife within 6 months from same place to same place.
  • In case where transfer takes place after 6 months of transfer of spouse 50% of Transfer Grant shall be allowed to spouse transferred later.
  • For short distance transfers after retirement within the same station or to an outstation within 20 Kms., where transportation of personal effect is generally carried out by road, CTG may be granted at 1/3rd of Basic Pay on production of documentary proof of change of residence. (Ref 2)
  • In case of transfer of Railway servants to stations which are at a distance of less than 20Kms from the old station and of transfer within the same city, one-third of the Composite Transfer Grant will be admissible, provided a change of residence is actually involved

Composite Transfer Grant(CTG) on Retirement

  • To settle down at places other than the last station of duty located at a distance of more than 20 km as that for CTG on transfer.
  • Retiring Railway servants, who settle at the last station of posting itself or within a distance of less than 20 kms, they may be paid  one-third of the Composite Transfer Grant subject to the condition that a change of residence is actually involved.  (Ref 5)
  • In  case of retirement of a Railway servant, no claim for Composite Transfer Grant will be entertained until and unless the retired Railway employee vacates the railway accommodation allotted to him.
  • Composite transfer Grant will not be payable to the retired Railway servant if he prefers to stay in the railway accommodation regularized in the name of any of his family members, after his retirement.
  • Composite Transfer Grant will, however, be payable if the retired Railway servant prefers to live away from his family members in whose name the Railway accommodation has been regularized.  In such cases, the retired Railway Servant is required to submit documentary proof of his having changed the residence.
  • Claim for full settlement of Composite Transfer Grant may be entertained and paid along with the settlement dues at the time of payment of settlement dues on the date following the date of superannuation , if the retiring Railway employee has already transported his personal effects finally and has submitted the necessary documentary proof therefor. (Ref 12)

Composite Transfer Grant(CTG) on death of a Railway employee while in service

  • GMs/AGMs  can sanction  Composite Transfer Grant in the event of death of a railway employee while still in service and where the family of the deceased has been permitted to retain the Railway Accommodation for a period of   2-1/2 years. These powers will be exercised by GMs/AGMs  personally with the approval of FA&CAO. (Ref 13)

CTG and Income Tax

  • Composite Transfer Grant, shall not be treated as income for the purpose of Computation of Income Tax being a part of Travelling Allowance admissible to a Railway servant, on transfer. (Ref 1)

1. Indian Railway Establishment Code Rule 1643
2. RBE 76/2011 
3. RBE 112/2011

4. RBE 189/2010

5. RBE 83/2010

6. RBE 111/2009

7. RBE 126/2009 
8. RBE 193/2008   

9. RBE 03/2005

10. RBE 27/2004

11. RB Letter No. F(E)I/2004/AL-28/13 dated 5.11.04
12. RBE No. 08/2003

13. RBE No.55/2003

14. RBE No. 85/2003

15. RBE  No.38/2000

16. RBE No.197/2002

17. RBE No.80/2000