Railway Staff Quarters

  • One of the benefits to which Railway employees are entitled to is provision / allotment of residential accommodation at the place of posting, on payment of a standard rent which is at subsidized rates. 

Entitlement of various types of Quarters





Staff with GP equal to or less than Rs. 1800



Staff with GP more than Rs. 1800 and upto 2400



Staff with GP more than Rs. 2400 and upto Rs. 4200



Staff with GP more than Rs. 4200



Gazetted Officers with GP less than Rs. 6600



Gazetted Officers with GP Rs. 6600

Type-IV Spl.


Gazetted Officers with GP more than Rs. 6600


Note : No existing Type-IV or other type of quarters will be transferred from Non-gazetted pool to Gazetted pool merely because the number of Group ‘C’ staff eligible for such quarters in accordance with the above instructions, happens to be less than the number of available quarters.
[Ref: No. Railway Board’s letter No. 2008/LMB/10/16 dated 27.01.2011 (RB/L&A No.002/2011)]
Classification of staff as “essential and non-essential” for allotment of quarters

  • For the purpose of allotment of quarters, Railway staff are categorized into two categories, i.e., essential and non-essential.  Separate pools of allotment are maintained for essential and non-essential staff. The actual classification as per local conditions will be done by respective Zonal Railways. (Ref: No. E[G]57 LG 5-1 dated 21-1-1958])
  • Out of the quarters set apart for essential category staff, separate pool of quarters should be maintained for the running staff proportionate to the strength of running staff as against non-running essential staff.  Seperate Priority Register will be maintained for this purpose.  [Ref: No. E[G]69 QR1-15 dated 30-10-1976].
  • The quarters of the loco running staff pool, on vacation, should be allotted only to  the loco running staff.

[Ref: No. E[G]79 QR 1-32 dated 20-08-80]

Allotment / retention of non-pooled ear-marked accommodation in the case of transfer, deputation, retirement, etc.


  • Officers holding ear-marked non-pooled accommodation, on their retirement, transfer, deputation, etc. may be permitted to retain such accommodation for a period of two months only on payment of normal rent.  During this period of two months, if the officer concerned requests for further retention of Railway accommodation, as admissible to him/her in terms of the general instructions governing retention of Railway accommodation in the case of transfer, deputation, retirement, etc., an alternative accommodation for the purpose may be allotted, if feasible, on payment of rent as per extant instructions. 
  • No retention in respect of ear-marked /non-pooled accommodation should be permitted beyond the period of two months.

[Ref: No. E[G]2001 RN4-10 dated 17-9-2002]

Misuse of Railway accommodation

  • Railway accommodation allotted to a Railway servant is meant only for his/her bonafide use and cannot be used for any purpose other than residence The provision should also clearly specify that any violation in this respect would result in cancellation of allotment of the accommodation besides initiation of disciplinary action under Railway Servants (D&A) Rules.[Ref: E(G)/2002 QR1-3 dated 29.04.02]
  • When a request is received from a Railway Servant seeking sanction of the government or when an intimation is given by him/her regarding business/Commercial activity by any member of his/her family it should be ensured that such activity is not being conducted and/or will not be conducted from the government/railway accommodation.  An undertaking to this effect may also be obtained from the Railway Servant concerned and enclosed with the proposal being sent to Railway Board for further necessary action. [Ref: No. E[D&A]2000/GS/1-8 dated 3-9-2002]

Sub-letting and vacation of Railway accommodation


  • Railway servant shall not sublet or lease Government accommodation allotted to him.
  • The Estate Officers/ Allotment Authorities on the Railways should carry out checks/inspections every six months to ensure that the houses are occupied by the allottee Railway servants only and are not sublet to outsiders in contravention of the extant instructions. ( Ref. No.E(G)86 QR 1-6 dt.30.9.1986)
  • As soon as the charges of sub-letting are established by the pool holder, the allotment of quarter will be cancelled and the disciplinary authority shall initiate disciplinary proceedings against the railway servant concerned. In such cases, the Competent Authority may consider placing the delinquent Railway servant under suspension also.
  • A Railway servant shall, after the cancellation of his allotment of Government accommodation vacate the same within the time limit prescribed by the allotting authority.  ( Ref. Rule 15A of Railway Services(Conduct)Rules,1966 read with Board’s letter No.E(D&A)98 GS1-1 dt.19.6.98)

Automatic termination of allotment on expiry of permitted period

  • On expiry of the permissible/permitted period indicated in all the above cases, the allotment of quarter in the name of the employee at the old station will be deemed to have been terminated automatically.
  • Retention of quarter by the employee after expiry of the permissible period will be treated as unauthorised.
  • During the period of unauthorised occupation the employee would be required to pay damage rate of rent in respect of the railway quarter.
  • Realisation of damages rate of rent should not be pended on the ground that the employee has appealed or the case of the employee has been referred to the Ministry of Railways for regularisation of the excess period of retention. [Ref: No. E(G)85 QR 1-9 dated 15.01.90 ]

Withholding of DCRG etc. in the case of post-retirement retention of Railway Quarter
To prevent unauthorized retention of railway accommodation by the retired  Railway employees following steps are taken : -

  1. 'No Claim' certificate should not be given unless the employee after retirement has vacated the railway quarter and cleared all his arrears of rent, electricity and other charges, etc.
  2. The retirement/death gratuity or special contribu¬tion to P.F., as the case may be, should be withheld in full for non-vacation of railway quarters not only after superannuation but in all cases of cessation of service, namely, voluntary retirement, death etc. Gratuity should be released,  as soon as the quarter is vacated.
  3. One set of post-retirement pass should be disallowed for every month of unauthorized retention of Railway quarters by retired employee. A show cause notice to this effect may be issued to the retired employee before disallowing the pass.

Retention of accommodation over and above the permissible period
Only Railway Board has the authority for extension over and above the permissible period

(i) The individual Railway employee who seeks retention of Railway accommodation beyond the period permissible under the general policy on medical grounds, may apply to the quarter controlling authority along with certificate from the Railway Medical Authorities.  The quarter controlling authority shall process the request for the personal approval of the General Manager.
(ii) If the General Manager is satisfied that there are adequate and reasonable grounds for permitting further retention, he may make his recommendations to the Railway Board with a speaking order for grant of this dispensation.
(iii) The retention of Railway accommodation beyond the permissible period on medical grounds may be granted by the competent authority for a period not exceeding one year in any case.
(iv) The benefit of retention of Railway accommodation shall be admissible in the case of severe illness of Railway employee himself/herself or any member of the employee’s family as defined in the Railway Servants (Pass)Rules.
(v) “Severe illness” in such cases means illness of the nature of acute debilitating disease, which requires hospitalization and/or prolonged indoor medical treatment or repeated indoor treatment to the  Railway employee or any member of his/her family, which must be duly certified by the concerned Chief Medical Director of the Railway recommending such retention of Railway accommodation.
(vi) The rate of rent to be charged for the extended retention shall be at four times of the normal licence fee per month.
(vii) In the event of grant of permission for retention of Railway accommodation at the previous place of posting beyond the period provided for in the relevant instructions, the employee in whose favour retention as above has been permitted, shall not be entitled to draw House Rent Allowance at his new place of posting.
(viii) The allottee will have to vacate the premises on or before the expiry of permitted period, and in the event of occupation of quarter after the permitted period of retention, it shall be treated as an unauthorised occupation and (damage) rent will be charged from him/her.

The request of officers in SAG and above for retention of accommodation on medical grounds as specified above, shall be forwarded to the Railway Board by the General Manager while all other cases will be dealt with at AGM’s level for forwarding to Board along with recommendations for consideration.
[Ref: No. E[G]99 QR1-16 dated 16-3-2004 & 1-9-2005]

See the circulars on Quarters


Member for

49 years 6 months

P.Nagendra Rao (not verified)

Tue, 21/08/2012 - 18:46

Dear Sir,

I have been alloted a type-I quarter in the year 2004, which is one way entrance & more smaller than the other type-I quarters & not provided toilet etc. Now, my adjacent Rly quarter is lying vacant since last two months. Can, I get the same quarter as per Rly's new circular "Two Type-I quarters which are in good condition will be amalgamated and converted in to type-II". Please clarify me to take adjacent quarter of same pool is required to take no objection from unions or not ?

Member for

49 years 6 months

sk (not verified)

Mon, 27/08/2012 - 12:39

I have type three quater and registerd for type IV but another person also entitled and applied for type IV but they have type II quater and their registration is just above on me. Then in that condition what will be the priority if a type IV quater is vacant.


Member for

49 years 6 months

amitabh mazumdar (not verified)

Tue, 11/09/2012 - 08:01

Respected sir,

             i have type II quarter but sir, there is water supply problem in our block, as we notice that there is unauthorized water supply pipe connection to our nearby block that from which should get water supply , In this regard we have many time complain to water supply authority and high authority also but no any action has till date.

           so, sir please suggest us it will be very great full to us which we were suffering a lot.

thanking you

                                                                                                                                  amitabh mazumdar.


Member for

49 years 6 months

Guest (not verified)

Tue, 11/09/2012 - 10:15



Member for

49 years 6 months

Manas Mane (not verified)

Mon, 24/09/2012 - 16:44

Dear sir,

              i appear in the last exam of rrb JE C.E.N.-01/2012 on 09/09/2012,

i dont no forward step means results and verification so tell me about this.

                                  ............................................................................THANK YOU

hello sir,
i would like to know about railway quarters rules.
me and my wife both of us are working in railways and i occupy railway quarter so i am not eligible for hra that is understood. now my wife is also not eligible for HRA.
please give some valuable information.


I got shortlisted for sr. p way supervisor in rrb trivandrum exam and i'm a post graduate. Is it possible for me to get promotion faster. And also i need to know about training and the posting places..and will this job be suitable for girls?


Thu, 20/06/2013 - 17:03

Rules of change of Railway Quarters?

An employee residing in Type-1 Railway Quarters and standing first in the priority of a unit for change Railway Quarters without mentioning for a specific Quarters. Has now ona subsequent date requested for a specific quarters of same type - 1. Kindly clarify wheather his request can be considered maintaining his priority as status QUO


Sir i have been selected as CDMS raibareli.....I want to know what are prospects in this job....Work profile, nature of job, as CDMS profile is not given anywhere...please provide complete detail......Seperate Office , Junior staff, PC, What exact work in term of hours as well as challenge...br

nitesh raj

Tue, 02/07/2013 - 18:32

sir  i m in 4600 gpay applied for type 4 quarter.....but  iwant top know that other people applied before me already  have railway type3 quarter....i want to know whether who .will given priorirty in allotment -also what is the circular regarding this.......and i am also concerned with control duty in electric control.. i wanrt to know whether i will be in essential mcateogry or not

Member for

6 years 9 months


Tue, 02/07/2013 - 20:29



                  my name is v.muthukumaran (sc) .I am (Branch president)office bearer of aisc/st association of my car shed branch.I promote technician Gr.II to technician Gr.I.my clarification is following rules are applicable or not.

        1.sc/st may normally be transferred at stations where they can be provided with home station.

        2.trade union office bearers not to be transferred with out agreement of union concerned except in cases of vigilance cases,promotion,legal recuirements etc.


                                                                                       Thanking you...


Tue, 02/07/2013 - 22:34

sir my age is 57 and i m having medical problems as my one eye and ear  is damaged totally and private doctors said that the operation for both is not possible. i am having power in other eye also as 2.5 near and 4.5 the distance. in railway hospital the doctors have referred me for headquarter hospital. i want to ask that i am totally unfit for the further service in railways or not . i am not understanding that after going to headquarters will  they will give me alternate post that is too lower than my present post or what will they do?? as i don't want that they should transfer me at the lowest level post... right now i am in C1 medical category according to service list.......if i am totally unfit for further service then i can take the benefit of compassionate grounds.....plz do reply what to do....

joginder pal

Wed, 11/09/2013 - 10:43

Sir, i am living in type 1 quarter, can i get type 2 quarter ?

My GP is 2200 and can i get type two quarter in other pool.
because theres not any type 2 quarter vacant in my pool, and my clerk is saying u cant get quarter in other pool. There is a vacant type 2 quarter but clerk says its not in your pool and they cant give me.
And if there is any possibility to get type 2 quarter in other pool please inform me about that and please  tell me how i can know which are the rules to allot quarters. They will ask for proof.
please answer the post Sir. because m facing problems in this type 1 quarter in which m living.


Fri, 13/09/2013 - 07:23

Can anyone tell me whether I can apply for HRA if I am not interested to avail railway accommodation due to existence of my own residence in same area?? If yes, what is the Railway Board circular number regarding this?

Satish Shrivastava

Thu, 19/09/2013 - 11:40

I have got selected for technician signal gr3 in western railway... my grade pay is 1900.. can i know what amenities do i get in TYPE-II quaters.. that is, how many rooms and other details.. 


thank you

Chinta Ram Dewangan

Sat, 16/11/2013 - 19:39

....dear sir,

I have to join as DMS in SECR through proper channel and whereas  I am in tech-I in CR and have quarter of type III.

For how long time I can occupy the quarter as per circular.

I want to occupy railway quarter for this educational year i.e. upto last March.

Can I apply for railway qtr in SECR after training (before last March) with having qtr in CR.

please guide me sir.....thanks

Hello sir...
Sir i am a commercial clerk in western railway mumbai division, recently i have been promoted to goods guard in western railway and posted in nandurbar station.
I wanted to know whether i have to surrender my railway quarter.
Even my wife is working in railways as commercial clerk in mumbai division and her HRA is been deducted from the month when we got married but i have not given any application for sharing of railway quarter now i got promoted to goods guard i have given for sharing application.
Is it possible to retain the railway quarter in which we are staying now or we have to vacate it.. Kindly help

Dicto baby
GUard - bct

purushottam rajmani

Mon, 12/05/2014 - 18:13


     i am currently working as a trains clerk in E.rly with gp-1900. the problem is that a trains pull quarter (typ -2) will be vaccent shortlly. 

I am the 1st one in prioty list but one staaff of my office who is shuntmen "b" in 2400 grade pay (promoted) who also applied for this quater...he is already stay in type 1 quarter since 5 years...bt he gave a aaplication on 2010( m posted in 2012) for issue of type 2 quarter......now he said that he is the 1st in prioty list.......sir i want to know that both of us who r eligible for this quater...also my office incharge are in my favour.

thanking you.



Wed, 04/06/2014 - 10:49

An employee HQ seniority is 2003, today his designation is ferro printer (GP-2000) another employee HQ seniority is 2014 designation is Helper (GP-1800) both are apply for a type-I Railway Quarters. Then in that condition what will be the priority ?

Satnam Singh Satti

Tue, 10/06/2014 - 20:45

Sir can u send me standard form for quarter retention. Can retention of railway quarter on medical ground be given on private medical certificate as railway hospital is 100 km away

Nilofar Khan

Tue, 15/07/2014 - 20:42

Dear Sir,

Good evening!

I am writing this comment on my dad's behalf.Earlier my dad was given a Type 1 room by railway, as per GP scale but now he qualifies for Type II..But recently when we had applied to IW for repairing of our room so one of the management has done our quarter unsafe..my question is post the unsafe of the quarter can we get Type II quarter?

shekhar fulzele

Wed, 24/09/2014 - 19:15

Dear sir
I have been alloted rly quarter. After allotment i checked quarter and given application to IOW for repairs. IOW given fit from his side after 3 month. After fit from IOW; Electric meter provided by electrical department. My question is; from when my HRA will deduct. From allotment or from occupation of quarter.

sir mera promotion par transfer ppi se nu station par hua tha.15 din bad nai list nikalkar kai logo ko unki request mankar choice ki station de di gai or mera transfer dusri station
sckr kar diya gaya on a/c mujhe lagta hai ki mere sath bhedbhav hua hai
plz suggest me mujhe kya karna chahiye.

Sir, i have purchased a readymade flat under intimation/permission from the department now i would like to vacate the alloted railway quarter whether i will be illegible to draw house rent from the date of vacation please suggest me.