1. Selection Posts
- The employee refusing promotion is debarred for future promotion for one year but he is allowed to be retained at the same station in the same post. Promotion after one year will be subject to continued validity of the panel in which he is borne, otherwise he will have to appear again in the selection. (Ref 1 & 2).
- At the end of one year if the employee again refuses promotion at the outstation, his name may be deleted from the panel and the administration may transfer him to out-station in the same grade.
- Seniority will be as from the date of effect of promotion and he will be junior to all the persons promoted earlier than him from the same panel irrespective of his panel position. He will not however lose seniority to another employee promoted to the same category during the one year period of penalty as a result of fresh selection subsequently held.
2. Non-selection Posts
- The employee will be debarred for future promotion for one year but not be transferred away from that station for one year if unavoidable domestic reasons exists. He should again be debarred for promotion for one year in case he refuses promotion again- after the first year of department or refusal of promotion for second time, the Administration can however transfer him to outstation in 'the same grade and the employee has again to appear for a suitability test when his turn for promotion comes. (Ref 5)
- He will rank junior to all promoted during the period he was allowed to refuse promotion irrespective of his relative seniority. He will not however lose seniority to another employee promoted to the same category during the one year period of penalty as a result of fresh suitability test subsequently held. (Ref 5)
- Administration can, however, entertain request from employee for postponement of promotion for very short periods on account of grave domestic difficulties or other humanitarian considerations. The employee concerned will be promoted after the period provided there is a vacancy and he will take his seniority from the date of the promotion.
Promotion at the same station
In the case of promotion at the same station, refusal to officiate on promotion may be taken as refusal to work inviting disciplinary action in cases where such refusal affects train operations.
- Railway Board’s letter No. E(NG)I/64/PM1/66 dt. 21.01.65
- Railway Board’s letter No. E(NG)I/71/PM1/106 dated 15.12.71
- Railway Board’s letter No. E(NG) 1-66 SR-6/41 dt. 14-10-66
- Railway Board’s letter No. E(NG)I/66/SR6/41 dated 14.10.66
- Railway Board’s letter No.86/CR/IREM/Ch.II & letter No. E(NG)I-97/SR6/27 dt. 19.11.98
- Rule 207 & 224 of of Indian Railway Establishment Manual
- Railway Board’s letter Nos. E(NG)I/73/PM1/120 dt. 02.02.74,11.09.74 and E(NG)I/79/PM1/147 dt. 31.01.81, E(NG)I-88/PM1/6 dt. 19.12.89 and E(NG)I-2003/PM1/25 dt. 10.09.2004- ACS NO.165