Reimbursement of Medical Expenses

  • When an employee or family members are referred to a hospital by Railway Medical Authority expenses incurred are reimbursed  on production of bills/receipts countersigned by Supt. Of the hospital.

For emergency Treatment without proper reference by ADMO

  • In case of Government hospitals, full powers for reimbursement.
  • In case of recognised hospitals/dispensary run by philanthropic organisations Upto Rs.2,00,000
  • These powers will be exercisedby GM/AGM duly scrutinized by FA&CAO.
  • Claims of higher amount will be referred to Railway Board.
  • DRMs can reimburse claims upto Rs.10,000 per case with a ceiling limit of Rs. 2,00,000 per year In case of Government/recognised hospitals only.



Member for

49 years 6 months

sourav (not verified)

Wed, 10/10/2012 - 22:08

sir,i am a south eastern railway emplyoee ,few days ago i was operated for a gall bladder operation in kolkata in a private hospital. can i get the reimbursement


Mon, 07/01/2013 - 21:42

Good evening sir

At Divisional Level DRMs can reimburse claims upto Rs.10,000 per case with a ceiling limit of Rs. 2,00,000 per year In case of Government/recognised hospitals only.

What about in Workshop Level whether CWM's are empowered to sanction such claims.



Mon, 30/12/2013 - 13:26

Dear Sir,

             My father is retired from Northern Railway in 2005, On 14.12.2013 in emergency we have urgently admitted him to private hospital. He is suffering from heart problem (breathing problem). He is admitted around 13 days. The hospital made bill around 2,07,000 Rs.

I want to know can he claim his medical reimbursement.







I work at Chennai central railway station as TTE. Due to heavy rainfall and flood in Chennai, the station was closed for some days. Since the station was closed; and due to my and my child's sickness I returned to my home in Kerala. I had been taking medicines for infection in nose from Perambur hospital. After reaching home the situation got worse and I consulted the doctor in a dispensary by railway department in Ernakulam for approval of sick certificate since I was unfit to return to the job and for the further treatment.   But unfortunately the doctor informed that he cannot provide sick certificate since I am an outstation employee. The doctor directed me to consult doctors at Div. Hospital, Trivandrum. I went there and approved sick leave after proper medical checkups. Because of some difficulties  I could not acquire further treatment from Div. Hospital, Trivandrum. So, my further treatment was done at Lakshmi Hospital, Ernakulam, which is the referral hospital to the Railway employees. Now, since it is a referral hospital for railway employees can I claim reimbursement of the medical expenses incurred during these days?    

Thanks in advance.


Please someone reply..


Thu, 01/11/2018 - 15:23

sir mere father mathura me posted h. or me ajmer me rhta hu. sir mere father ajmer aaye huye the unki achank tbiyat khrab hone ke karan unhe ajmer railway se connected hospital me admit kraya h. sir unka medical card tab mathura me tha to railway se reffer krwana sambhav nai tha. sir ab unka tritment chal raha h. sir unka reibursement ka prosecc  kya hoga.. 


My father was a pensioner and he was in the treatment for lung cancer at Gov.Medical college Thrissur. He took 1 0r 2 chemotherapy per month for the whole year. He was not admitted in the hospital as the treatment carried only once in a month. But for his last period of time he was admitted in the hospital for 7 days and took pain killers. Can we apply for medical re-imbursement with the medicine bills? Its around 91,000.

Member for

25 minutes 22 seconds


Mon, 19/08/2019 - 11:44


My father is a retired railway employee from TPJ. He and my mother are living with me in Chennai. Due to an emergency (coughing up blood), my mother went to the nearest private hospital as outpatient. After the diagnosis she is discovered of having lung cancer. So they scheduled surgery to remove the left lung next week. Should I consult with the ADMO before the surgery to get reimbursement? Will this case eligible for reimbursement?

Also, my father isn't changed the division yet. So he and my mother has to go to Trichy for consulting ADMO, which is 6 hours far from where we are living. My mother is not in a good condition to travel. What should I do now? Please advise. 

Member for

20 minutes 53 seconds


Fri, 20/09/2019 - 07:56

Sir, this is to notify that my father in law was retired from South Eastern Railway as Head Constable position.

Afrer retirement, he was undergone treatment for several times due to severe kidney desease. On emergency basis, he was admitted in several nursing home without any intimation to Railway. But unfortunately he was expired in Aug'2019.

Is there any probability for reimbursement of the medical expenses done towards hospitalizations in three nursing home.

APprox expenses down around Rs. 4.5lakh.

KIndia revert.


Suvojyoti Sinha


Member for

3 hours 1 minute


Thu, 03/10/2019 - 00:30

Dear Team,

my father is a north western railway retired officer( Bikaner division). On 14 sep he got a heart stroke when he was on visit to Gurgaon to her daughter, in case of emergency we have to admitted him in a pvt hospital(Paras Healthcare) wherein he has to go under angioplasty process which cost around 2.25 Lakhs. As he’s a retired officer and his earnings are only on the pension he cannot bear this much medical amount, pls share the process of the reimbursement so that he can get back his hard earned money and also any medical cashless benefits for retired railway employees.

pls call on 9818885715 or 9910333005


jyoti ( Daughter)